Saturday 30 May 2009

LE MERIDIEN KING EDWARD IN TORONTO

Le Méridien King Edward is said to have received guests for over 100 years. Its situation in the heart of the financial district, downtown Toronto, is ideal for business meetings in the city. It is a rather large hotel with 298 guest rooms. However, from a European perspective, this hotel is far from being modern or oriented for Europeans. The staff is nice but that is as far as it goes. You are charged for everything. Internet is available, somehow free if you manage to get your wifi to read a signal... but very unstable. The room I was in certainly was spacious... but the furniture was rather old-fashioned. The bed was comfortable but the bathroom was very basic. Thank God I was having a shower at an early hour, (due to my jetlag) but had the people in the offices opposite been working, they would have had a look at my whole naked body. The net curtain that supposedly hid the inside was extremely thin... They claim to be a modern hotel but I have to say, that either they have not visited their competition in other countries or they don't know what modern tendencies are. For me, it was an experience that made me go back 20 years.

Breakfast: Well, that was another surprise. I do travel a lot and get to stay over in many hotels, where a buffet breakfast is offered. In this hotel, you had a menu and you had to choose from something you didn't even know what would look like. Eggs Benedict were good, I have to say. But breakfast was rather... weak.

The Concierge was extremely helpful and the reception people either spoke Spanish to us or just attempted to do so, which is always something to thank for. Not so pleasant staff in the breakfast room. I have to say, in the hotel's defence that they prepared a nice packed breakfast for us to take, as we were leaving rather early in the morning. I think that was even better than the one in the restaurant, I have to admit.

37 King Street East
Toronto, Ontario M5C
Canada
Tel: +1 (416) 863-9700

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL IN THE WORLD, I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete