Tuesday 17 August 2010

THE DIOSCOURI HOTEL IN SPARTA

It is rare that you end up in Sparta anyway, but if you are like me, who didn’t know the area, you may fall in this hotel, especially, with the good rating it has in Tripadvisor. If you can prevent it, please look elsewhere, as you are likely going to be better off. IT is well located, near the town centre, the Museum and on the way to one of the area attractions: The old city of Mistra.

The outside was rather strange. It looked as if the hotel, when built, it was not finished. You can look at the balconies, and you will see that the cement is there. Same happens inside the rooms in the ceiling. Style or intention? I will leave that up to you. It is a poor 3 star hotel.

Reception was rather old fashioned. You are given a key by the receptionist (probably the owner, who loiters around with the rest of the family watching Greek Soap Operas in the lobby TV) with a huge key ring, as in the old times. The lift looks from other times too. Buttons that don’t operate until the door is close (no memory).

The room was … basic, to put it nice. The Air conditioned was not on, so, it was the first thing I did, and stayed on throughout our stay. In summertime, and with the sun falling in our window, the room was really hot. The Décor was simple… specially the ceilings, that also showed the cement, as I said, as if it had not been finished. Internet was wireless… and free of charge.

The nearby (opposite) church played the bells throughout the night on the hour, until it got to 7am (I think it was) that a serenade of bells started to play… God! I was on holidays… Do I need to be woken up by the Church bells?

Breakfast was … I don’t know how to describe it. It was a bit of a disgrace. Yogurt was good, but that was about everything. The rest was… disgusting. All the things were out of a packet or a tin. Nothing fresh.

As I had my travel agent voucher, I didn’t need to do much at checking out.

THE DIOSCOURI HOTEL
Lycourgou 182 & Atridon Street,
Sparta 23100
Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment